After seeing Brians amazing azaleas, I hoped that showing mine would cause lots of discussion. (Like how to get from here to there.) I am new to all bonsai, see this is what I was thinking...
1) See if I could keep azaleas alive over the winter... check. (and there are new buds everywhere!)
2) See if I could do it while in a bonsai pot... check.
3) Next year I will put them back in a big pot to try to grow a nice trunk (the bases on my two are pretty strong. I dug them out after my big azalea bush sent some branches underground - free roots!)
4) I think I am doing well with watering, but I am still getting leaves that are turning yellow and black (dead center on first picture). Any ideas why?
5) Any and all critiques are welcome. Like I said, I am very new to this, and just keeping them alive was a big step for me.
Thank you for looking.
Thank you for writing.
Unfortunately, I did miss the azalea demo. I will be sure to check out that caresheet though!
Sorry I can’t be of assistance. I picked up a few 2 years ago, I believe there’s a pic on members photos of one. As with the rest of my bonsai they overwinter outside. I bury pot and all under benches. Being new you probably missed the demo by Bob Mahler on azaleas. Great info, maybe when we get out of this lock up, we can have another azalea demo. Good luck with your trees. In the mean time you could check Bonsai Empire on line, for their care sheet.